Thank you for your interest in applying for the open Vestavia Hills School Board of Education seat. Below you will find a copy of the application and helpful reference materials to prepare for your interview.
Along with a completed application, candidates may also submit letters of recommendation. All submissions must be made to the City Clerk, Rebecca Leavings, in person or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), before the application deadline. Note: emailed submissions will be confirmed with a return receipt response.
Contact Rebecca Leavings, City Clerk, with any questions. (email@example.com; [205-978-0131])
Dates and Deadlines:
- March 14, 2017 – Application period opens
- April 10, 2017 – 5 PM – Application period closes
- April 11-23, 2017 – Interviews [Interviews will be scheduled during a public council work session.]
- April 24, 2017 – Council votes on selection
- June, 2017 – Board Member takes office
- Application Packet including copy of the Council Resolution governing school board selection process. Note: This document may be printed and handwritten or information entered electronically and then printed.
- Article – “A Conversation with Mark Hogewood”
- Link to Board of Education website: http://www.vestavia.k12.al.us
- AASB brochure, Working for Children
- AASB article, “7 Habits of Highly Effective Board Members,” by Susan Salter, Alabama Association of School Boards Magazine, January 2000.
- Link to ASBJ article, “7 Signs of Effective School Board Members” by Kathryn Blumsack and Terry McCabe, American School Board Journal.