Planning for the improvement of our community spaces in Vestavia Hills has been an ongoing effort of many different groups over the last several years and great strides have been made in the forward movement of these plans. The City, in partnership with the Vestavia Hills Parks and Recreation Board, is excited to take the next steps toward the Community Spaces Plan becoming a reality!
TCU Consulting Services, the program management firm hired by the City, conducted a series of public meetings this summer to gather stakeholder input. Click to view any of the archived Meeting Videos. Be sure to click “VIDEOS” in the menu at the top of the page and enter username: firstname.lastname@example.org; password: VestaviaHills1032
During the meeting period, stakeholders were encouraged to complete surveys for each of the proposed Community Spaces Plan components. Upon completion of these meetings, along with input from various City staff and boards, TCU presented their suggestions during the January 18-19, 2018 Council work session. Their suggested plan for each area of improvement can be accessed at TCU CSP Plan. Citizens and stakeholders are encouraged to comment on the plan components by clicking on “Community Spaces Plan questions and comments” at https://vhal.org/vestavia-hills-listens/.
The Community Spaces Plan is a comprehensive proposal for improvements to a broad range of activities throughout the City of Vestavia Hills. This plan was initially based on the strategic drivers established in the 2015 Recreation and Athletics Master Plan:
- Re-position quality of life assets to reflect the Vestavia Hills brand and effectively recruit and retain families
- Elevate the quality of existing facilities to comprehensively serve the recreational interests of all members of the community regardless of age
- Increase the capacity of City athletic facilities to ensure that Vestavia Hills youth sports programs deliver a high impact and consistent experience that result in the athletic and personal development of all participants.
The major plan components originally identified are highlighted below.
- Wald Park:
- Creation of a Multi-purpose Recreational Facility to include would include three multi-purpose courts (basketball, wrestling, volleyball, badminton, etc.) and multi-purpose rooms. The proposed building (ranging from 60,000-sf to 45,000-sf) would be located at Wald Park next to a proposed new swimming pool facility.
- Creation of premier Green Space to be located at Wald Park on newly acquired property and in the area of the current Senior Lodge.
- Construction of a Swimming Facility to include a new swimming pool, pool facilities and pool amenities.
- Renovation of Ballfield Complex
- Gold’s Gym:
- Renovation of existing space to be utilized as a Community Center focusing on Senior and Civic activities
- Cahaba Heights:
- Renovation of Ballfield Complex, including parking areas
- Creation of a Miracle Field
- Liberty Park:
- Renovation of Ballfield Complex
- Old Berry High School:
- Creation of Recreational Fields and Trail Development
- Various upgrades and amenity additions are planned for Tennis, Softball and Baseball programs in several of our parks.
Moving the Community Spaces Plan from CONCEPT to REALITY is a multi-stage process:
- Planning: assess facilities; develop project objectives; budget review & validation; community input; and develop master schedule
- Management Information Control Plan: determine deliverables; communicate plan & workflows; and establish reporting standards
- Program Budget, Program Schedule & Program Control: establish master program budget with detailed conceptual estimates for each project; establish master schedule with clear deliverable dates for each project; and obtain owner approval for program components
- Implementation: pre-design & design; bid & award projects; construction; and post-construction
- Contingency Planning: schedule; budget; and implementation
- Quality Control: standards & project reviews; schedule monitoring; and budget management
- Introduction to the Community Spaces Plan, Tommy Dazzio 2016
- Printable version of this Executive Summary
- Video of Town Hall Meeting kick-off November 15, 2016
- Community Spaces Plan Presentation PowerPoint November, 2016
- 2015 Recreation and Athletics Master Plan
- More Parks and Recreation Studies and Assessments
- Organizational Meeting Minutes
- Community Spaces Plan November 2016 presentation