A Comprehensive Plan
The Infrastructure & Community Spaces Plan is a comprehensive proposal for improvements to a broad range of activities throughout the City of Vestavia Hills. This plan was initially based on the strategic drivers established in the 2015 Recreation and Athletics Master Plan:
- Reposition quality of life assets to reflect the Vestavia Hills brand and effectively recruit and retain families
- Elevate the quality of existing facilities to comprehensively serve the recreational interests of all members of the community regardless of age
- Increase the capacity of City athletic facilities to ensure that Vestavia Hills youth sports programs deliver a high impact and consistent experience that result in the athletic and personal development of all participants
The plan has since been expanded to include not only recreational facilities, but also community infrastructure improvements.
During a series of public meetings, stakeholders were encouraged to complete surveys for each of the proposed Infrastructure & Community Spaces Plan components. Upon completion of stakeholder meetings, along with input from various City staff and boards, TCU presented their suggestions during the January 18-19, 2018 Council work session. Specifics for each area of improvement can be accessed at TCU Community Spaces Plan. Citizens and stakeholders are encouraged to comment on the plan components by clicking on “Community Spaces Plan questions and comments” at https://vhal.org/vestavia-hills-listens/. Following is a summary of the major plan components and the estimated cost for each:
Road Capacity & Sidewalk Improvement Project: $4,611,000
- Crosshaven Drive
Sidewalk Installation: $2,500,000
- East Street; Cahaba Heights, Commercial Area Connectivity; and Rocky Ridge Road, Commercial Area Connectivity
Road Paving: $2,200,000
- 20 miles of poorly rated streets
Stormwater Infrastructure Improvements: $550,000
Refinance Gold’s Gym Property: $8,900,000
Community Spaces Plan Implementation:
- Wald Park $15,429,766
- Cahaba Heights $7,398,815
- Community Building $15,270,390
- New Merkel House $500,000
TOTAL ESTIMATED COST: $57,359,971
The following links provide additional specific information:
- May 14, 2018: The corporate office of Gold’s Gym initiated conversations to reach an agreement for the early termination of the lease contract on property located at 1090 Montgomery Highway, effective June 30, 2018, with a termination payment to the City of Vestavia Hills in the amount of $510,000. The Mayor and City Council approved Resolution 5051, authorizing the City Manager to execute and deliver this full and final settlement agreement, release and lease termination for the Gold’s Gym property. As a part of the Community Spaces Plan, Gold’s Gym will become the new Community Building and will have nearly 90,000-sf of space for people of all ages to utilize for senior programming, arts & crafts, dances, basketball games, etc. This Community Building is just a small part of the overall plan to renovate and replace aging infrastructure and facilities city-wide.
- April 16, 2018: The City of Vestavia Hills has been awarded a grant from ALDOT (TAP 2018) for $280,000. The grant’s purpose is to construct a sidewalk/trail connection from Gold’s Gym to Wald Park. For additional details of the grant application, along with Governor Ivey’s award letter, visit TAP Grant – Sidewalk Connector. This grant furthers efforts to fully integrate City facilities along Highway 31.
- April 9, 2018: The City Council voted to approve 1% sales tax and 3% lodging tax increases. To access meeting minutes or to view the archived meeting video, visit Current Agendas & Agenda Packet.
- June 12, 2017: City Council approved Resolution 4951 authorizing the Mayor and City Manager to execute and deliver a contract for the implementation stage of the Community Spaces Plan for a program manager (TCU).
- TCU Consulting Services, the program management firm hired by the City, conducted a series of public meetings over the course of many months in 2017 to gather stakeholder input. Click to view any of the archived Meeting Videos. Be sure to click “VIDEOS” in the menu at the top of the page and enter username: firstname.lastname@example.org; password: VestaviaHills1032
- Introduction to the Community Spaces Plan, Tommy Dazzio 2016
- Printable version of this Executive Summary
- Video of Town Hall Meeting kick-off November 15, 2016
- Community Spaces Plan Presentation PowerPoint November, 2016
- 2015 Recreation and Athletics Master Plan
- More Parks and Recreation Studies and Assessments
- Organizational Meeting Minutes
- Community Spaces Plan November 2016 presentation