Recyclables for all single-family homes in Vestavia Hills will be collected on Wednesdays. Use your green roll out cart for recyclable items. All materials may be co-mingled. Carts should be placed to the curb prior to 6:30 a.m. on Wednesdays. On weeks with holiday schedules and when there is inclement weather, please hold recyclables until the following week. Recycling guidelines are provided below. For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 205.978.0150. You may also use the Vestavia Hills Action Center to submit questions or to request additional or replacement carts.
Acceptable materials and preparation is as follows:
- NEWSPRINT & PAPER- Newsprint, office paper, computer paper, phone books, magazines, envelopes, file folders and junk mail are recyclable. Tissue products, paper towels, paper that has been in contact with food products, wax coated paper and paper cups are not recyclable.
- METAL CANS- Aluminum and bi-metal cans are recyclable. Rinse thoroughly. It is not necessary to remove labels.
- PLASTIC- Numbers 1 through 7 will be accepted in our curbside recycling program. Please examine all plastic items and look for the recycling symbol (three arrows arranged in a circular pattern). The number will be inside the recycling symbol. If there is not a recycling symbol, please do not place it in your recycling cart, but rather in your household garbage. Remove and discard lids or rings and rinse containers. Containers may be crushed.
- CARDBOARD- Cardboard container boxes, food containers made of light cardboard materials, and shoeboxes are all recyclable. No wax-coated cardboard is accepted.
- GLASS- No glass of any kind is accepted.
Be aware that the recycling cart is not the homeowner’s property. The City of Vestavia Hills has acquired these carts through our waste contractor for use by Vestavia Hills residents only. If you move from Vestavia, do not take the recycling cart with you
The issued recycling carts are only intended to hold approved recycling items. The standard issue cart (35 gallons) has a maximum capacity of 60 pounds (27.3 kg). Please do not exceed this weight limit.
We ask your cooperation by observing the following guidelines:
- Close the lid before moving the cart
- Clean the recycling cart occasionally
- Place the cart with the front (arrows) facing the street for collection
Please, do not …
- Allow children to play in or around the garbage carts
- Place the cart on a steep slope
- Place the cart on an elevated platform
- Place anything but approved and properly prepared recyclable materials in the recycling cart
- Exceed the ANSI weight limitation of 60 pounds
Glass is not accepted as a pick-up item through Vestavia Hills’ municipal service. If you would like to recycle glass, you may contact one of the local recycling centers listed below.
Alabama Environmental Council Recycling Center
http://www.aeconline.org Phone: 205- 322-3126
An E-recycling and shredding event is held in Vestavia Hills once a year, usually in September. If you need to recycle electronics and appliances throughout the year, you may try contacting the recycling center listed below. Batteries may be taken to any Batteries Plus retail location (www.batteriesplus.com).
Advanced Technology Recycling
www.ATRecycle.com Phone: 877-781-7779