Special Municipal Election to be held May 9, 2023.
**This information will be updated as needed**
Absentee voting is open! To apply for an absentee ballot, please complete the application (CLICK HERE for application). Include a copy of your government ID and mail to: Rebecca Leavings, Absentee Manager, City of Vestavia Hills, 1032 Montgomery Highway, Vestavia Hills, Alabama 35216. A ballot will be forwarded to you as soon as absentee voting begins.
- NOTE: Applications must be sent separately, only one application per envelope.
- If dropped by City Hall, the application must be received by the voter himself, the application and voter cannot be received by the Manager by anyone other than the voter.
- Send to the address given above, City Hall. Do NOT send to Jefferson County.
- Mark the absentee ballot box “Special Municipal Election (specify) School Tax Election
PRECINCT MAP: Click here for the Precinct Map (this is a large .pdf map and can be enlarged to see specific streets and lots.
SAMPLE BALLOT: Click here for a sample ballot.
On February 27, 2023, the City Council adopted Ordinance 3150 to call an ad valorem school tax election in the City of Vestavia hills for May 9, 2023. Click Here for a copy of the Mayor’s Notice of Election.
On January 31, 2023 following a public hearing, the City Council adopted and approved Resolution Number 5435 to propose an increase in ad valorem school tax levied in the City of Vestavia Hills. This Resolution, at the request of the City Board of Education, requests a proposed increase in the rate at which the Special School tax is levied to be equal to $3.54 on each one hundred dollars (35.4 mills on each dollar) of assessed value of property subject to (a) the approval of the Legislature to be evidenced by an act thereof, and (b) the approval of a majority of qualified electors of the City who vote on the proposed increase at a special election called and held for such purpose pursuant to the provision of Subsection (f) of Amendment No. 373 of the Constitution that was proposed by Act No. 6 enacted at the 1978 Second Special Session of the Legislature of Alabama.
General Voter Information
Need to register to vote or update your registration information? Visit https://www.sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/voter/register-to-vote to download or submit a State of Alabama Mail-In Voter Registration Form. Got questions? Find your County Board of Registrars contact info at https://www.sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/board-of-registrars-all-counties.
Where do I go to vote? Contact the Jefferson County Board of Registrars at 205.325.5550. Following the 2020 Census, new district lines were drawn and polling locations have changed.
How do I vote by absentee ballot? Absentee voting for municipal elections is at Vestavia Hills City Hall located at 1032 Montgomery Highway, Vestavia Hills, Alabama 35216; 2nd Floor, City Clerk’s Office. A picture ID is required. Absentee voting is not currently available. The date to begin Absentee voting for the Special Election is to be determined.
Voting Precincts / Polling Precincts
- Vestavia Hills Civic Center (changed from Town Village, Central School, Library in the Forest & City Hall) | 1090 Montgomery Hwy
- Shades Mountain Baptist Church (changed from Horizon Church on Columbiana Road) | 2017 Columbiana Rd
- Mountaintop Community Church | 225 Centerview Dr
- Vestavia Hills Methodist Church | 2061 Kentucky Ave
- The Church at Liberty Park | 12001 Liberty Pkwy
- Cahaba Heights Baptist Church | 3800 Crosshaven Dr
Please note that some residents vote at locations that are not in the City of Vestavia Hills. For your exact location, contact Jefferson County Board of Registrars at 205.325.5550.
All media inquiries should be directed to Cinnamon McCulley, City of Vestavia Hills Assistant City Manager/Communications Specialist – 205.864.4320 | email@example.com