The next Municipal Election will be a candidates election scheduled for August 2025. Information will be updated at that time.
Special Municipal Election – May 9, 2023
On Tuesday, May 16, 2023, the City Council met in special session and adopted Ordinance Number 3181 to officially canvass the votes for this election. The final vote tally was 3201 FOR increase in taxation and 4103 AGAINST an increase in taxation. A copy of the ordinance may be obtained by CLICKING HERE.
REFRESH this page to see the most up-to-date information.
- Absentee voting has CLOSED. The deadline to make application for an absentee ballot was 5pm CST, Thursday, May 4.
- The last day to hand-deliver an absentee ballot is Monday, May 8, 2023 at 5pm CST.
- The ballot must be delivered by the voter; no one else may hand deliver a ballot.
- Last day for a postmark on an absentee ballot is May 8 and must be received in the Office of the City Clerk prior to noon, May 9, election day.
- This is Alabama law. There are no exceptions except emergency absentee ballots. For information on an emergency absentee, please refer to the Secretary of State’s Website: https://www.sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/voter/absentee-voting
Click here for the Precinct Map (This PDF map can be enlarged to see specific streets and lots.) Please note, precincts are numbered as “places” on this map. The voter location that corresponds is listed below:
- VH Place 1 is Shades Mountain Baptist Church
- VH Place 2 is Vestavia Hills Methodist Church
- VH Place 3 is Mountaintop Church
- VH Place 4 is Vestavia Hills Civic Center
- VH Place 5 is Cahaba Heights Baptist Church
- VH Place 6 is Liberty Park Church
Information Regarding the Election
- 1Rebel 1 Future Informational Website
- 1Rebel 1Future Informational Brochure
- 1Rebel 1Future Community Information Meeting Video of November 9, 2022: Click Here
- Vestavia Voice Article January 24, 2023: Click Here
Act 2023-23 as enacted by the State of Alabama Legislature: CLICK HERE
On February 27, 2023, the City Council adopted Ordinance 3150 to call an ad valorem school tax election in the City of Vestavia hills for May 9, 2023. Click Here for a copy of the Mayor’s Notice of Election.
On January 31, 2023 following a public hearing, the City Council adopted and approved Resolution Number 5435 to propose an increase in ad valorem school tax levied in the City of Vestavia Hills. This Resolution, at the request of the City Board of Education, requests a proposed increase in the rate at which the Special School tax is levied to be equal to $3.54 on each one hundred dollars (35.4 mills on each dollar) of assessed value of property subject to (a) the approval of the Legislature to be evidenced by an act thereof, and (b) the approval of a majority of qualified electors of the City who vote on the proposed increase at a special election called and held for such purpose pursuant to the provision of Subsection (f) of Amendment No. 373 of the Constitution that was proposed by Act No. 6 enacted at the 1978 Second Special Session of the Legislature of Alabama.
Archived: Absentee voting is open and available during business hours at City Hall, Office of the City Clerk, 2nd Floor City Hall! The deadline to make application in order to obtain a ballot is close of business, 5 PM, May 4, 2023.
To apply for an absentee ballot, please complete the application (CLICK HERE for application). Include a copy of your government ID and mail to: Rebecca Leavings, Absentee Manager, City of Vestavia Hills, 1032 Montgomery Highway, Vestavia Hills, Alabama 35216. A ballot will be forwarded to you as soon as possible upon receipt.
- NOTE: Applications must be sent separately, only one application per envelope with a copy of a government ID card.
- If dropped by City Hall, the application must be received by the voter himself; the application and/or ballot cannot be received by the Election Manager from anyone other than the voter or the USPS.
- Send to the address given above, City Hall. Do NOT send to Jefferson County.
- Application must be received in the Absentee Office prior to close of business May 4, 2023
- Mark the absentee ballot box “Special Municipal Election (specify) School Tax Election
General Voter Information
Need to register to vote or update your registration information? Visit https://www.sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/voter/register-to-vote to download or submit a State of Alabama Mail-In Voter Registration Form. Got questions? Find your County Board of Registrars contact info at https://www.sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/board-of-registrars-all-counties.
Where do I go to vote? Voter cards will be mailed to individual voters in mid-April. Please watch your mail for these voter cards. Voter information is obtained from the Jefferson County Board of Registrars. If a previous owner has not updated his/her voter information, voter cards for that voter might be received also. Contact the Jefferson County Board of Registrars at 205.325.5550 for more voter information.
How do I vote by absentee ballot? (See information above). Absentee voting for municipal elections is at Vestavia Hills City Hall located at 1032 Montgomery Highway, Vestavia Hills, Alabama 35216; 2nd Floor, City Clerk’s Office. A valid photo ID is required.
Voting Precincts/Polling Precincts
- Vestavia Hills Civic Center (changed from Town Village, Central School, Library in the Forest & City Hall) | 1090 Montgomery Hwy
- Shades Mountain Baptist Church (changed from Horizon Church on Columbiana Road) | 2017 Columbiana Rd
- Mountaintop Community Church | 225 Centerview Dr
- Vestavia Hills Methodist Church | 2061 Kentucky Ave
- The Church at Liberty Park | 12001 Liberty Pkwy
- Cahaba Heights Baptist Church | 3800 Crosshaven Dr
Please note that some residents vote at locations that are not in the City of Vestavia Hills. For your exact location, contact Jefferson County Board of Registrars at 205.325.5550.
All media inquiries should be directed to Cinnamon McCulley, City of Vestavia Hills Assistant City Manager/Communications Specialist – 205.864.4320 | firstname.lastname@example.org or Whit McGhee, Vestavia Hills City Schools Director of Public Relations – 205.402.5144 | email@example.com.