When and how do I obtain a City of Vestavia Hills business license?
Please visit the Business License and Sales Tax page of our website. You may also contact George Sawaya at email@example.com or 205.978.0127. PLEASE NOTE: Contractors, subcontractors, commercial landscapers, etc., should obtain license applications from the City of Vestavia Hills Building Safety department page.
How often do I need to renew my Vestavia Hills business license?
Business licenses shall be renewed annually on or before the 31st day of January each year. For further information, please refer to the current Vestavia Hills Business License Ordinance found on the Business Licenses and Sales Tax page of this website.
How do I file sales and use taxes?
Sales and use taxes are collected through Revenue Discovery Systems 205.324.0088. Information concerning the filing of Sales and Use taxes can be obtained online through RDS or by contacting George Sawaya at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205.978.0127.
When are taxes due?
All taxes, such as sales tax, liquor tax and wine tax are due on or before the 20th day of the month following the month in which the tax accrues.
What are the current sales and use taxes in Vestavia Hills?
Effective June 1, 2018, the current sales tax in the City of Vestavia Hills is 10%. Additional information can be found by viewing Ordinance 2747.
Do I need a permit for a fireworks display?
Yes. Per Vestavia Hills Ordinance Number 56, “No person shall have, keep, store, use, manufacture, sell or handle any consumer fireworks within the city … The police chief may, upon due application, issue a permit to a properly qualified person for giving a pyrotechnic display of fireworks in the public parks or other open places within the city or the police jurisdiction thereof.”
Use of fireworks within the City limits requires:
(1) Approval from the Chief of the Vestavia Hills Police Department: Prior to applying for a business license or permit, contact VHPD at 205.978.0140 to request approval.
(2) Fireworks Permit from the Alabama State Fire Marshal: Following VHPD approval, apply for a permit from the Alabama Fire Marshal. The permit application is available online at https://www.firemarshal.alabama.gov/OnlineServices.aspx. Note: This permit requires submission of a site plan, as well as proof of individual licensure and insurance.
(3) City of Vestavia Hills Business License: If approved and the date of the fireworks show is within 30 calendar days, the purchase of both a temporary City of Vestavia Hills license, as well as an annual license, is required. Click here to download the TEMPORARY Business License Application. Click here to download the NEW Business License Application (complete all of page 1 and the top of page 3). The current cost for this City of Vestavia Hills license is $162.00 total ($150 + 12 issuance fee).
Do I need a permit for garage sales and yard sales?
Yes. Permits are available through the Finance Department, Monday through Friday. The permit must be obtained in person at Vestavia Hills Finance Department. The cost of a permit is $5.00 and must be obtained prior to the sale. The permit may be used on an alternate date in the event of bad weather. For further questions, please call 205.978.0188.
Can I obtain car tags, automobile titles and driver’s licenses at City Hall?
Vestavia Hills residents may renew their car tags and get new or transfer tags for cars and boats purchase from a dealer. More information is available at Vehicle Tags.
Driver’s licenses may not be obtained at City Hall. Jefferson County has a satellite revenue office conveniently located along U.S. 31 in Hoover. That office may be reached at 205.497.8976.
Where can I obtain a copy of the City budget?
What is the ad valorem millage rate for real property located within the City of Vestavia Hills and how can the property tax be computed?
Jefferson County is responsible for assessing and collecting ad valorem taxes for real and personal property in the City of Vestavia Hills. Questions regarding tax assessment should be directed to:
Dan Weinrib, Tax Assessor
Courthouse Suite 170716
Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd.
Birmingham, AL 35203
Questions regarding tax collection should be directed to:
J.T. Smallwood, Tax Collector
Room 160 Courthouse
716 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd.
Birmingham, AL 35203
Ad valorem taxes are calculated based on the current millage rate. Following is an example of the computation of annual tax on an owner occupied home, located within the corporate limits of Vestavia Hills. This example assumes the following:
– Example using a millage rate of 0.0926 ($92.60 for each $1,000 of the assessed property value).
– Fair Market Value of the home is $100,000
– Current “Assessed Value” equals 10% of Fair Market Value
Assessed Value: $100,000×0.1 = $10,000
Tax Due: ($10,000/1000)x92.6 = $926*
*To this amount a Storm Water Fee is added. From this amount, the Homestead Exemption will be deducted, if the homeowner is eligible and has applied for the exemption.
You may now pay your ad valorem taxes online. To learn more about Jefferson County services and to pay your property taxes, visit the Jefferson County website.
How to I submit application for a restaurant alcohol license?
How do I get paid for the sale of merchandise or services to the City of Vestavia Hills?
Please, submit your invoice or bill (complete with purchase order number) to: Accounts Payable, PO Box 660854, Vestavia Hills, Alabama 36266-0854.
Every effort is taken to process payables in an efficient and timely manner. For information regarding an outstanding invoice, contact Rita C. Hosmer at 205.978.0126. In order to assist us in answering your questions, please have the invoice number, purchase order number and any other identifying information available before contacting this department.