When And How Do I Obtain A City Of Vestavia Hills Business License?

Please visit the Business License and Sales Tax page of our website. You may also contact Revenue Officer Frank J. Seagrist, Jr. at 205-978-0102.  PLEASE NOTE: Contractors, subcontractors, commercial landscapers, etc., should obtain license applications from The City of Vestavia Hills Building Safety Office web page.

How Often Do I Need To Renew My Vestavia Hills Business License?

Business licenses shall be renewed annually on or before the 31st day of January each year.  For further information, please refer to the current Vestavia Hills Business License Ordinance found on the Business Licenses and Sales Tax page of this website.

How Do I File Sales And Use Taxes?

Sales and use taxes are collected through Revenue Discovery Systems 205-324-0088.   Information concerning the filing of Sales and Use taxes can be obtained online through RDS or by contacting George A. Sawaya , the Assistant City Treasurer. His phone number is 205-978-0127.

When Are Taxes Due?

All taxes, such as sales tax, liquor tax and wine tax are due on or before the 20th day of the month following the month in which the tax accrues.

Do I need a permit for garage sales and yard sales?

Yes. Permits are available through the Finance Department, Monday through Friday. The permit must be obtained in person at Vestavia Hills Finance Department. The cost of a permit is $5.00 and must be obtained prior to the sale. The permit may be used on an alternate date in the event of bad weather.  For further questions, please contact Revenue Officer Frank J. Seagrist, 205-978-0102.

Can I obtain car tags, automobile titles and driver’s licenses at City Hall?

Vestavia Hills residents may renew their car tags and get new or transfer tags for cars and boats purchase from a dealer.  For more information, search “tags.”

Drivers License may not be obtained at City Hall.  Jefferson County has a satellite revenue office conveniently located along US 31 in Hoover.  That office may be reached at 205-497-8976.

I need a copy of the City Budget. Where can I obtain a copy?

Copies of the budget of the City of Vestavia Hills for a current fiscal year may be obtained through George A. Sawaya, the Assistant City Treasurer. His phone number is 205-978-0127.

What is the ad valorem millage rate for real property located within the City of Vestavia Hills and how can the property tax be computed?

Jefferson County is responsible for assessing and collecting ad valorem taxes for real and personal property in the City of Vestavia Hills. Questions regarding tax assessment should be directed to:

Dan Weinrib, Tax Assessor
Courthouse Suite 170716
Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd.
Birmingham, AL 35203
Phone: (205) 325-5505

Questions regarding tax collection should be directed to:

J.T. Smallwood, Tax Collector
Room 160 Courthouse
716 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd.
Birmingham, AL 35203
Phone: (205) 325-5500

Ad valorem taxes are calculated based on the current millage rate. In this example we will use a millage rate of 0.0926 ($92.60 for each $1,000 of the assessed property value).Here is an example of the computation of annual tax on an owner occupied home, located within the corporate limits of Vestavia Hills, using the following, additional assumptions:

    • Fair Market Value of the home: $100,000
  • Current “Assessed Value” equals 10% of Fair Market Value

The Assessed Value: $100,000×0.1 = $10,000

Tax Due: ($10,000/1000)x92.6 = $926

To this amount a Storm Water Fee is added. From this amount, the Homestead Exemption will be deducted, if the homeowner is eligible has applied for the exemption.

You may now pay your ad valorem taxes over the Internet. To learn more about Jefferson County services and to pay your property taxes, visit the County’s Web Site.

I want to open a restaurant in the City of Vestavia Hills. How to I submit application for an alcohol license?

View alcohol license information in the City Clerk FAQs

I have sold merchandise or services to the City of Vestavia Hills.  How do I get paid?

Please, submit your invoice or bill (complete with purchase order number) to: Accounts Payable, PO Box 660854, Vestavia Hills, Alabama 36266-0854.

Every effort is taken to process payables in an efficient and timely manner. Anyone requesting information on an invoice should contact the Accounts Payable Administrator, Rita C. Hosmer at 205-978-0126. In order to assist us in answering your questions, please have the invoice number, purchase order number and any other identifying information available before contacting this department.