What is the Fire department’s contact information?

1032 Montgomery Highway; Vestavia Hills AL 35216
Emergency: 911 or 205.823.1296
Fire Administration: 205.978.0225
Fire Administration Fax: 205.978.0205

How do I obtain a copy of a fire report or a medical transport report?

Call Fire Administration at 205.978.0225

My carbon monoxide detector/smoke detector is going off. What should I do?

If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, the level of carbon monoxide has reached danger levels. This is a DEADLY gas that is odorless and colorless — it cannot be detected by human senses. Activate your emergency escape plan, then call 911. If your smoke detector goes off, activate your emergency escape plan, then call 911.

How can I arrange a tour of a fire station?

Contact Deputy Chief/Fire Marshal Ryan Farrell at 205.978.0218 or rfarrell@vhal.org.

Where can I take CPR classes?

Contact Battalion Chief Scott Ferrell at 205.978.0212 or sferrell@vhal.org.

How do I make an Escape Plan for my home or business?

Make sure everyone knows at least two unobstructed ways out – doors and windows – of every room in your home. Decide on a meeting place outside where everyone will meet. Click here for additional information about emergency escape planning.

How should I treat a burn?

Cool a burn with water. Do not use ointments, butter or other substances. For minor burns contact a physician. For serious burns, dial 911 immediately.

How many smoke detectors do I need? Is it necessary to install one in every room?

Install at least one smoke alarm on every floor of your home (including the basement) and outside each sleeping area. If you sleep with the door closed, install smoke alarms inside the room. In new homes, smoke alarms are required in all sleeping rooms, according to the National Fire Alarm Code. Click here for additional information regarding smoke detectors.

Should homeowners sleep with their doors closed to protect themselves in the event of a home fire?

A closed door may slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire. Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room and outside each separate sleeping area. For the best protection, make sure all smoke alarms are interconnected. Due to the changes in construction and materials, you could have as little as 2 minutes to escape a home fire, compared to 7-8 minutes years ago. Smoke alarms can provide the crucial early warning that often has a significant impact on the outcome of home fires.

Why do I have to dial 911? Can’t I call the fire station directly to save time?

The 911 emergency system is designed to save valuable time. When you dial 911, the system routes the police or fire unit that is closest to your home. Fire stations are not properly equipped to take emergency calls. Therefore, calling the station directly actually wastes response time.

What is the Fire department’s hiring process? How do I become a firefighter? When are applications being accepted?

The City of Vestavia Hills is an equal opportunity employer. Employees are divided into two primary categories: classified and non-classified. Applicants for classified positions (police, fire and administrative positions) need to make application through the Jefferson County Personnel Board. The City normally hires from the certification listings of the Personnel Board. To contact the Personnel Board, call 205.325.5515.

What do firefighters do when they are not on calls?

In addition to fighting fires, firefighters treat sick or injured people, report to car accidents, extricate people from damaged motor vehicles, technical rescue and assist at hazardous materials spills. When they are not on an active call, firefighters prepare written reports on emergency incidents, clean and maintain their equipment, participate in training exercises and do fitness training.

Do I need a permit for a fireworks display?

Yes. Per Vestavia Hills Ordinance Number 56, “No person shall have, keep, store, use, manufacture, sell or handle any consumer fireworks within the city … The police chief may, upon due application, issue a permit to a properly qualified person for giving a pyrotechnic display of fireworks in the public parks or other open places within the city or the police jurisdiction thereof.”

Use of fireworks within the City limits requires:

(1) Approval from the Chief of the Vestavia Hills Police Department: Prior to applying for a business license or permit, contact VHPD at 205.978.0140 to request approval.

(2) Fireworks Permit from the Alabama State Fire Marshal: Following VHPD approval, apply for a permit from the Alabama Fire Marshal. The permit application is available online at https://www.firemarshal.alabama.gov/OnlineServices.aspx. Note: This permit requires submission of a site plan, as well as proof of individual licensure and insurance.

(3) City of Vestavia Hills Business License: If approved and the date of the fireworks show is within 30 calendar days, the purchase of both a temporary City of Vestavia Hills license, as well as an annual license, is required. Click here to download the TEMPORARY Business License Application. Click here to download the NEW Business License Application (complete all of page 1 and the top of page 3). The current cost for this City of Vestavia Hills license is $162.00 total ($150 + 12 issuance fee).