Planning for the improvement of our community spaces in Vestavia Hills has been an ongoing effort of many different groups over the last several years and great strides have been made in the forward movement of these plans. The City, in partnership with the Vestavia Hills Parks and Recreation Board, is excited to take the next steps toward the Community Spaces Plan becoming a reality!
A series of public meeting are currently being held at Vestavia Hills City Hall and stakeholder attendance and participation is encouraged. If you cannot attend those meetings, plan information at each stage will be shared on this web page, along with the City’s Facebook page.
Click to view the Current Meeting Schedule.
Click to view Current Meeting Topics.
Click to view the Meeting Videos. For the login, enter username: firstname.lastname@example.org and password: VestaviaHills1032
Be sure to click “VIDEOS” in the menu at the top of the page.
Surveys (also available through VH Listens)
These are downloadable surveys that were presented during the public meetings (“Meeting 3”). Please return completed surveys by August 9, 2017 to email@example.com or to the City Manager’s office located at 1032 Montgomery Highway, Vestavia Hills, AL 35216.
The Community Spaces Plan is a comprehensive proposal for improvements to a broad range of activities throughout the City of Vestavia Hills. This plan is based upon the strategic drivers established in the 2015 Recreation and Athletics Master Plan:
- Re-position quality of life assets to reflect the Vestavia Hills brand and effectively recruit and retain families
- Elevate the quality of existing facilities to comprehensively serve the recreational interests of all members of the community regardless of age
- Increase the capacity of City athletic facilities to ensure that Vestavia Hills youth sports programs deliver a high impact and consistent experience that result in the athletic and personal development of all participants.
The major plan components are highlighted below, and we welcome you to review the initial Community Spaces Plan November 2016 presentation.
- Wald Park:
- Creation of a Multi-purpose Recreational Facility to include would include three multi-purpose courts (basketball, wrestling, volleyball, badminton, etc.) and multi-purpose rooms. The proposed building (ranging from 60,000-sf to 45,000-sf) would be located at Wald Park next to a proposed new swimming pool facility.
- Creation of premier Green Space to be located at Wald Park on newly acquired property and in the area of the current Senior Lodge.
- Construction of a Swimming Facility to include a new swimming pool, pool facilities and pool amenities.
- Renovation of Ballfield Complex
- Gold’s Gym:
- Renovation of existing space to be utilized as a Community Center focusing on Senior and Civic activities
- Cahaba Heights:
- Renovation of Ballfield Complex, including parking areas
- Creation of a Miracle Field
- Liberty Park:
- Renovation of Ballfield Complex
- Old Berry High School:
- Creation of Recreational Fields and Trail Development
- Various upgrades and amenity additions are planned for Tennis, Softball and Baseball programs in several of our parks.
Moving the Community Spaces Plan from CONCEPT to REALITY is a multi-stage process. Sub-committee groups were formed to work with TCU as we progress through each of the stages listed below. While each sub-committee held an initial organizational meeting during the month of June, community engagement during the upcoming “debate” and “decision” phases is critical.
Click to view minutes from the committee organizational meetings for each of the projects: Organizational Meeting Minutes
- Planning: assess facilities; develop project objectives; budget review & validation; community input; and develop master schedule
- Management Information Control Plan: determine deliverables; communicate plan & workflows; and establish reporting standards
- Program Budget, Program Schedule & Program Control: establish master program budget with detailed conceptual estimates for each project; establish master schedule with clear deliverable dates for each project; and obtain owner approval for program components
- Implementation: pre-design & design; bid & award projects; construction; and post-construction
- Contingency Planning: schedule; budget; and implementation
- Quality Control: standards & project reviews; schedule monitoring; and budget management
- Introduction to the Community Spaces Plan, Tommy Dazzio 2016
- Printable version of this Executive Summary
- Video of Town Hall Meeting kick-off November 15, 2016
- Community Spaces Plan Presentation PowerPoint November, 2016
- 2015 Recreation and Athletics Master Plan
- More Parks and Recreation Studies and Assessments