The Engineering Department’s mission is to provide well-organized, cost effective municipal engineering services to the citizens and business community of Vestavia Hills.

Our engineers and departmental staff oversee the City’s public properties and rights-of-way, as well as subdivision developments, stormwater management and infrastructure improvements while protecting the public health, safety and welfare of the residents of Vestavia Hills. This includes inspection and oversight of Vestavia Hills roadways, bridges, storm sewers, stormwater management and other civil engineering projects as identified and funded in the City’s annual budget.

Contact Us

Vestavia Hills Department of Public Services
1032 Montgomery Highway, Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
Hours 7:30am-5pm Monday-Friday

Public Services Director | Lori Beth Kearley, PE |
City Engineer | Christopher Brady, PE, CFM |
Engineering Inspector | Jay Turner |
Engineering Technician | Butch Jerrolds |
Office Administrator | Jennifer Swann |

Unknown liquids entering the storm drain system, stream or river | 205.930.1999
leaving a construction site due to improper construction practices | 205.978.0150
Any spill | 205.978.0140
Sanitary sewer
overflow | 205.942.0681

Traffic Calming Policy & Studies

Stormwater Management

Additional Links

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my property is located in a flood zone? Call the City Engineering Department at 205.978.0150. We will perform a search based on the address of your property and provide you with any applicable documentation that has been provided by FEMA. Be advised that the City of Vestavia Hills does not provide elevation certificates or perform land surveying for this purpose. If needed, it is the responsibility of the property owner to contract with an independent land surveyor to provide this service.

What is the process for constructing a new driveway or repairing an existing driveway? A Driveway Permit is required for all new driveway construction. Any repairs to existing driveways need to be coordinated with the City Engineering Department to determine permitting and inspection requirements.

What materials are considered illegal to dump into a storm drain or system? It is illegal to dump trash, leaves, yard clippings, oil, paint or any other item into any storm system, whether that system be an inlet or an open ditch. Eventually all storm systems dump into a stream or a creek. If you see a person or company illegally dumping any item into a storm drain or ditch, call 205.978.0140 or use Vestavia Hills Connect to report it. You do not have to leave your name or number if you do not wish to. Be prepared to give us the location of the storm system being illegally dumped into, and the Engineering Department will respond.

What is public right-of-way? Simply put, the public right-of-way is property that has been dedicated for public use. A typical roadway right-of-way is 50’, typically estimated to be 25’ from the roadway centerline although in some cases the roadway does not lie within the center of the roadway. The most accurate way to determine where the public right-of-way begins is to have a surveyor locate your property pins/markers along your property.

What does the City maintain within the public right-of-way, and what is my responsibility as homeowner? The City maintains all components of the roadway system within the right-of-way. This includes asphalt, curbing, gutters, sidewalks, and storm drainage structures (within the right-of-way). All landscaped areas behind the curb/pavement or between the curb/pavement and the sidewalks should be maintained by the abutting property owner. This includes maintenance of trees and shrubbery to prevent sight line obstructions.

Where should I locate my mailbox and what materials can I use? The City does not have any policy or regulations related to installation of mailboxes on local streets. With that said, only mailboxes with break-away posts are encouraged within the roadway right-of-way. Rigid objects close to the roadway can become hazards for vehicles that may leave the pavement. Break-away posts are designed and constructed to break upon impact. This protects drivers that may veer from the road and eliminates any potential risk for you should an accident occur. Any mailbox construction/installation on a state roadway or County Through Road are subject to state or County regulations. Any questions related to mailboxes along those roadways should be routed to either ALDOT or Jefferson County. A list of those roadways can be provided, if needed.

What drainage inlets, pipes, open ditches, etc. does the City maintain? The City maintains all drainage inlets, pipes and culverts within the public right-of-way. A typical roadway right-of-way is 50’, typically estimated to be 25’ from the roadway centerline although in some cases the roadway does not lie within the center of the roadway. All drainage inlets, pipes and culverts outside of the right-of-way are the responsibility of the homeowner. Citizens can help maintain a well-functioning drainage system by mowing vegetation in ditches and keeping all debris, including leaves and grass clippings, out of the ditches and storm drains. It is detrimental to the function of the drainage system to intentionally dump leaves, grass clippings, litter and other debris into ditches. Open ditches with maintained grass are preferred in order to provide erosion protection as well as a natural filtration system. Tree saplings and overgrowth are only removed from ditch banks by public works crews when warranted for access due to maintenance needs, or if drainage flow is obstructed. Any routine trimming of grass and vegetation in any ditch is the responsibility of the property owner.