Aquatic Complex | 1973 Merryvale Road, 35216
– Are residents able to reserve the pool pavilion for events? Reservation opportunities will be available for the 2021 swim season.
– Is there a dedicated space for lap swimming? Yes! There are dedicated lap lanes in the competition pool.
– What is the membership cost? The membership fees for the 2021 season have not yet been determined by the Parks & Recreation Board, but will be published as soon as they are available.
– How do you determine residency for membership? Driver’s license or other state-issued photo I.D. required for proof of residency. If your I.D. does not list current Vestavia Hills address, you may bring your photo I.D. along with a current utility bill bearing your name and accurate address.
– May I bring a guest that does not live in Vestavia Hills? Vestavia Hills residents may bring a non-resident guest by paying a small fee. The fee structure is TBD by the Parks & Recreation Board.
– May I bring my own food and/or drinks? No outside food is allowed, but each person may bring one water bottle. If you have a special need that requires consideration, please click here to contact Aquatic Complex staff.
– May I drop my children off at the pool? Children 11 years and older may be dropped at the pool, as long as they have a membership.
– How will residents know if the Aquatic Complex has closed early due to weather, etc.? Aquatic Complex hours and capacity limitations may be affected for a variety of reasons, including weather, lifeguard/staff availability, etc. Check pool status online at https://statusme.com/fs-alabama or call the status hotline at 205.978.0220.
– Where can I park? Parking is available in the lots at the Vestavia Hills Aquatic Complex, Board of Education, West Elementary and the Civic/Recreation Center.
– Are you hiring? Any certified lifeguard interested in employment opportunities should contact Jeff Corley at email@example.com.
Boulder Canyon Nature Trail | 1289 Montgomery Highway, 35216
Boulder Canyon Nature Trail is a beautiful wooded hike tucked away along U.S. 31. The trail begins at the Library in the Forest (1221 Montgomery Highway, 35216) and features a nature trail, bridge and waterfall. The trail was preserved through the volunteer efforts of Keep Vestavia Green in partnership with the City of Vestavia Hills. Reservations are not available.
Byrd Park | 2109 Tyson Drive, 35216
Byrd Park features a walking track and a playground. There are also picnic areas in the park. Reservations are not available.
Cahaba Heights Park | 4401 Dolly Ridge Road, 35243
In addition to open green space, the newly renovated park features multiple turfed baseball fields and an inclusive playground. The next phase of construction will include a new New Merkel House, along with a dog park. For more information regarding Cahaba Heights Park, call 205.978.0166.
Community Building | 1090 Montgomery Highway, 35216
The Community Building (formerly Gold’s Gym) is under renovation and slated to open fall 2021. Amenities will include meeting spaces, basketball courts and much more!
Futsal & Pickleball Courts (SHAC) | 4851 Sicard Hollow Road, 35242
– Three courts are open for free play daily, 7am-10pm.
– Courts are first-come, first-serve. If players are waiting for a court, play is limited to one hour.
– Rentals/reservations are not available at this time.
– Tennis shoes must be worn.
– No bicycles, skate boards/hoverboards, skates or rollerblades allowed.
– No pets allowed, except service animals.
– No food or beverage allowed, except for water.
– Do not remove Futsal goals or Pickleball nets.
– Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
– Lights may be turned on with push button located outside of court.
– No private/professional lessons permitted without prior approval by Parks & Rec staff.
Liberty Park Sports Complex | 4700 Sicard Hollow Road, 35242
Features two playgrounds, soccer fields and softball fields. Reservations are not available.
McCallum Park | 3332 Rosemary Lane, 35216
A passive park with pavilions, trails, restrooms and a large, open green space. There are grills to cook over open flames (personal grills not allowed in parks), and Little Shades Creek meanders through the park. It is located at the end of Rosemary Lane (off of Rocky Ridge Road). Reservations are not available, but groups planning to utilize this park should notify Parks & Recreation by calling 205.978.0166. McCallum Park can not accommodate groups larger than 50.
Meadowlawn Park | 4041 Dolly Ridge Road, 35243
This small pocket park in the heart of Cahaba Heights officially opened in May 2017 and features a pavilion and walking trail, along with a small amount of playground equipment – swings, slide and play climber. Please note that this park does not provide restroom facilities.
Miracle League Field | 1973 Merryvale Road, 35216
The Miracle League removes the barriers that keep children with mental and physical disabilities off the baseball field and lets them experience the joy of America’s favorite pastime. Since the main barriers for these players arise from the natural grass fields used in conventional leagues, Miracle League teams play on a custom-designed, rubberized turf field that accommodates wheelchairs and other assertive devices while helping to prevent injuries. https://www.miracleleague.com/about-2
New Merkel House | 4405 Dolly Ridge Road, 35243
The former New Merkel House opened in 1994 as a center for community gatherings and, lately, was used primarily as a senior center. A new New Merkel House is currently under construction and slated to open spring 2021. For more information regarding New Merkel House, contact Melanie Perry at 205.967.5977
Recreation Center | 1973 Merryvale Road, 35216
Regular Hours of Operation
March through October: Monday-Thursday: 7am-9pm; Friday: 7am-5pm; Saturday: 8am-4pm; Sunday: 1pm-6pm
November through February: Monday-Friday: 7am-9pm; Saturday: 8am-6pm; Sunday: 1pm-6pm
Business Office: Monday-Friday: 8am-5pm
Rules & Regulations
– Membership is required. (See below.)
– Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
– Use of the jogging track is restricted to those 12 and older.
– The Recreation Center is not responsible for money lost in the vending machines. Refunds cannot be made.
– Help keep the facility clean by placing all trash in the proper receptacles.
– No smoking on the premises.
Membership is free for Vestavia Hills residents. Membership badges are issued at the Park and Recreation Office (1973 Merryvale Road). To obtain a badge, bring your ID and 2 forms of proof of residency. Residency information must be renewed annually from date of acquisition. Non-residents wishing to access the Recreation Center must be accompanied by a resident and pay a fee of $5/day. No more than 2 non-resident/guests per member per day allowed. Members must present their badge and pay non-resident visitor fees at the office window upon arrival.
Shallowford Park | 3334 Shallowford Road, 35216
Shallowford Park is a small, neighborhood pocket park and playground with no parking and no restroom facilities. Reservations are not available.
Sicard Hollow Athletic Complex (SHAC) | 4851 Sicard Hollow Road, 35242
Open 6:30am to sunset. SHAC features four synthetic turf multi-purpose fields with an adjacent playground.
Splash Pad (SHAC) | 4851 Sicard Hollow Road, 35242
Hours 9am to Sunset; May 1 – September 30. Hours will be adjusted seasonally. Water sprays are controlled by a button on the black stand. Once activated, water will run for approximately 15 minutes and turns off automatically. To continue playing, press the button on the black stand and water comes back on.
The Splash Pad and adjacent community park and playground features an ADA accessible playground with features specifically designed for autistic children. Adult fitness stations can also be found at this location.
The splash pad can not be reserved/rented, but you may rent the adjacent pavilion, featuring six picnic tables and a small room which may be utilized as a receiving line for food and drinks. Restrooms are located on back end of pavilion. For information regarding pavilion reservations/rental, call 205.978.0166.
Wald Park | 1973 Merryvale Road, 35216
The playground, batting cages and walking track at Wald Park are OPEN. All baseball fields, including the Miracle League Field, are CLOSED for the winter.
Wald Park is under construction but nearing completion. Click here for project information and activity updates. In addition to open green space, the newly renovated Wald Park will feature multiple baseball fields (including a Miracle League Field), a walking track, aquatic complex (including competition and leisure pools), picnic areas, a dog park, walking trails, tennis complex and community playgrounds. For more information regarding Wald Park, call 205.978.0166.
Walking Trail (SHAC) | 4851 Sicard Hollow Road, 35242
Blue Cross Blue Shield is the sole sponsor of the trail system, which also connects to the SHAC athletic fields. Looping the entire park, including the athletic fields, is approximately 1.3 miles. Looping just on the trail in the new park is approximately 0.8 miles.