Office Hours have now been limited to 8:00 AM to 2:30 PM
* Per Supreme Court Order court has cancelled court for the next 30 days. See below for you new court date.
* Defensive Driving School is also cancelled until further notice.
* Any questions pertaining to court, tickets and/or defensive driving school can be asked by emailing : email@example.com
Welcome to the Vestavia Hills Municipal Court website. Our court has jurisdiction over traffic/parking tickets, misdemeanor cases and municipal ordinance violations which include court dates, appearances and driving school. We are here to serve the people of Vestavia Hills so if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Court is held on Tuesdays at 4 p.m. Court cases cannot be rescheduled the day of court. Messages will not serve as an excuse for court.
Vestavia Hills Municipal Court
1032 Montgomery Highway, Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
P.O. Box 660854, Vestavia Hills, AL 35266-0854
Hours 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
PLEASE NOTE: Our phones are always busy and we are also helping people at the window. Calls will be answered as received. For better service, please leave a message immediately after the tone. Calls will be returned as soon as possible, however, a call can not be returned if no message is left or if no phone number is provided.
This is the current court calendar. Court starts at 4:00 p.m. Trial night is the third court night (Tuesday) of the month. The trials will be heard upon completion of the regular docket.
3/17/2020 all cases continued to 9/1/2020
3/17/2020 all Trials continued to 9/22/2020
3/24/2020 all cases continued to 9/15/2020
4/7/2020 all cases continued to 9/22/2020
4/14/2020 all cases continued to 9/29/2020
Payments may be made by mail using a money order or a cashier’s check made payable to the City of Vestavia Hills. Do not mail personal checks or cash. Be sure to include your full name, ticket number and address on your payment and mail to:
Vestavia Hills Municipal Court
P.O. Box 660854
Vestavia Hills, AL 35266-0854
Payments may be made in person by the defendant or, if another individual comes in to pay the fine on behalf of the defendant, the individual must have an executed Guilty Waiver which has been signed by the defendant. This waiver is located on the back of the defendant’s copy of the citation or a copy of this waiver may be obtained here: Guilty Waiver. Please print this waiver prior to coming in for payment. Alabama law requires that any defendant pleading guilty before a magistrate must sign this waiver.
Payments may be made at the Municipal Court office located in the Vestavia Hills City Hall at 1032 Montgomery Highway. Please enter through the double front doors of the Police Department Building located behind Red Lobster. Cash, cashier’s checks and money orders are accepted. We also accept Master Card, Visa and Discover (which includes a 3% processing fee). Personal checks and company checks will not be accepted. A drop box is available for payments made in person after hours. It is located in the lobby of the Police Department. When using the drop box, enclose your payment in a sealed envelope with your full name and ticket number or case number written on the envelope.
By Phone or Internet
Payments maybe made online at https://vestaviacourt.govtportal.com or by calling toll free: 866.840.3433. Both options will accept Visa, Master Card or Discover (which includes a 3% processing fee). You will need to enter your complete ticket number on both options. You will receive a verification number when the transaction is successfully completed. To prevent duplicate charges do not hit the back button during your transaction.
ALLOW THREE (3) BUSINESS DAYS FOR YOUR PAYMENT TO BE PROCESSED. IF YOU HAVE MADE A PAYMENT BUT THE TICKET APPEARS UNPAID, CONTACT A MAGISTRATE AT 205.978.0121 TO AVOID MAKING A DUPLICATE PAYMENT. PAYMENT IN FULL MUST BE RECEIVED BY COURT DATE OR YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE COULD BE SUSPENDED AND A WARRANT COULD BE ISSUED FOR YOUR ARREST.
Traffic Offenses & Fines
Traffic Offenses That Will Lead to a Mandatory Court Appearance
You must appear in court after the following citations are issued:
- Driving while your drivers license is suspended, revoked or cancelled
- Possession of drugs and or drug paraphernalia
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failure to yeild/move over for stationary emergency vehicle
- Open container
- Reckless driving
Effective June 1, 2018
- If the defendant purchases a tag within 3 days, the ticket is dismissed on court costs of $165.
- If the tag is purchased after three days the ticket is $190 (fine of $25 and court costs of $165).
- If the tag is never purchased the ticket is $265 (fine of $100 and court costs of $165).
Effective June 1, 2018
- If the defendant is able to prove valid insurance showing they were covered the day of the ticket, then the ticket is dismissed at no charge.
- If the defendant provides proof of insurance that was purchased before the court date, the ticket is $265 ($100 fine and $165 court costs).
- If the defendant is unable to provide any proof of valid insurance the ticket is $315 ($150 fine and $165 court costs).
Upon the discretion of the court:
- If this is the first ticket you have received in the past five years, you may qualify for the Level I (4-hour defensive driving class).
- If you have been issued a traffic citation within the last five years, you may qualify for Level II (8-hour defensive driving class).
In order to choose this option, you must appear IN PERSON at the Magistrate’s office prior to your court date, to pay for and schedule a class.
- 4-hour class is $150
- 8-hour class is $300
These classes are non-refundable and WILL NOT be rescheduled. Do NOT pay your ticket if you wish to attend the driving school. Once the ticket is paid, your case is adjudicated and closed. Opting to plead guilty and pay your fine makes you ineligible to attend traffic school for this citation.