- Road & Sidewalk Projects
- Emergency Road Closures
- Planning Projects
- Infrastructure & Community Spaces Plan
Road & Sidewalk Projects
- Alabama Power Company Tree Trimming – Alabama Power will be trimming trees in our area between October 1, 2019 and April 15, 2020. All work will take place within the utility easement areas shaded in green on these APCo provided maps: Tree Trimming Map 1; Tree Trimming Map 2; Tree Trimming Map 3. Per Alabama Power representatives, the work in Vestavia Hills will be performed in stages depending on their available personnel. Notification of affected property owners will be made by Alabama Power personnel both in person (door-to-door) and by direct mail. Contact information for the appropriate Alabama Power personnel will be supplied in the notification process.
- Cahaba Heights (various areas) – Spire is upgrading pipelines in Cahaba Heights. Spire has started work to upgrade pipelines in Cahaba Heights. Work is anticipated to be ongoing for several months. The project will include sections of Goodwin Street, East Lane, East Street, Cahaba Drive, Hillway Drive, White Oak Drive, Overheights Drive, Mountainside Road, Valley Park Drive, Far Hill Circle and Troy Place. Information about the upgrade project was distributed recently to residents living in the immediate work area. This project requires crews to dig in the streets and, in some cases, yards. Work is scheduled to occur on weekdays, between 7am and 4pm. and traffic control measures are in place to ensure traffic flows as smoothly as possible. Please drive with caution through these work areas. When the project is complete, Spire will completely restore affected streets, yards and landscaping. If you have any questions, please contact Stacy Doss 205.715.3953 or Stacy.Doss@SpireEnergy.com.
- Cahaba Heights Road – Survey and preliminary layout of sidewalk project is complete. Design work is in progress. Stakeholders meetings are being scheduled. Click to view map of proposed sidewalk.
- Cahaba Heights Road & Blue Lake Drive (Helen Ridge) – Work is principally complete, but ongoing construction activity within the new development is ongoing.
- Cahaba River Road – Roadway resurfacing is being provided by Jefferson County Roads and Transportation from near Dolly Ridge Road, through the Acton Road intersection and near Patchwork Farms area. The project is substantially complete outside of some additional shoulder improvements and final striping. The County anticipates these items being completed as soon as weather allows.
- Columbiana Road – Roadway work near the new Pizitz Middle School continues to progress and may require periodic lane closures to allow construction of a new turn lane and installation of a traffic signal. Please anticipate delays while traveling in this area.
- Crosshaven Drive – Design work on this widening project is complete. Utility coordination and right-of-way coordination/acquisition are currently underway. Bidding for this project is anticipated for early 2020 and construction is anticipated to begin by mid-2020.
- East Street – Project bids have been received; awarding of the project is anticipated by action of the Council during the March 9, 2020 regular meeting. Construction is anticipated in spring and early summer 2020. Click to view map of proposed sidewalk.
- Highway 31 (Wald Park) – Improvements along Highway 31 near Roundhill and Merryvale Roads are substantially complete, however construction activity on site and along the Wald Park access road will continue through summer 2020. Please be aware of this construction, allow additional travel time and proceed cautiously, especially during rush hour and peak carpool times.
- Massey Road – Right-of-way and utility coordination is ongoing. ALDOT has amended construction schedule to begin summer 2020.
- Mountain View Drive (various areas) – Spire has started work to upgrade pipelines along Vesthaven Way E, Shady Creek Trail, Comer Circle, Comer Place, Rockbridge Road, Lexington Road, Downey Drive and Mountain View Drive. Work is anticipated to be ongoing for several months. Information about the upgrade project was distributed recently to residents living in the immediate work area. This project requires crews to dig in the streets and, in some cases, yards. Work is scheduled to occur on weekdays, between 7am and 4pm and traffic control measures are in place to ensure traffic flows as smoothly as possible. Please drive with caution through these work areas. When the project is complete, Spire will completely restore affected streets, yards and landscaping. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Stacy Doss at 205.715.3953 or Stacy.Doss@SpireEnergy.com. Click to view project map.
- Mountain View Drive – Design work is substantially complete and neighborhood meetings are being scheduled. Click to view map of proposed sidewalk.
- Pedestrian Bridge – Final design approvals to authorize construction have been submitted to ALDOT. Utility relocations are being coordinated. Project is expected to bid in spring 2020. The bridge will be across Highway 31 (SR-3) in the vicinity of Wald Park and the Vestavia Hills Public Library. Click to view the conceptual design and location map.
- Poe Drive – Kadco Homes has begun work to install a new sidewalk along the east side of Poe Drive. If you have any project-related questions, please contact Charles Kessler 205.999.9881 or City Engineer’s office at 205.978.0150.
- Rocky Ridge Road/Dolly Ridge Road – Design work for this sidewalk project is approximately 90% complete. Click to view map of proposed sidewalk.
- Shades Crest Road – Final asphalt patching is underway, including some areas of deep asphalt repairs by Jefferson County road crews prior to final resurfacing of the roadway. Roadway repaving within the project area is anticipated to begin within the upcoming weeks, weather permitting.
- Sicard Hollow Road Pedestrian Tunnel – Work to relocate affected utilities ahead of tunnel construction is underway. At this time, construction is expected to commence early 2020.
- Waldridge Road – Wald Park construction will require periodic closing of Waldridge Road from the “back” Walmart entrance to the former Castle Park intersection. Notification of specific dates will be announced and coordinated for school traffic.
- 2019-2022 Paving Map & List & Resolution 5190: Rebuild Alabama Act – The 2019-2022 Paving Schedule is a potential 3-year plan for paving poorly rated roads. Dunn Construction will begin residential repaving projects in December. On or around December 9 through 20, Buckhead and Ashley Woods subdivisions are being scheduled for roadway resurfacing. Please do not leave vehicles parked in the roadways during working hours and anticipate delays during the construction activities.
- 2016 Sidewalk Master Plan & Resolution 5122: Sidewalk Construction Policy
Emergency Road Closures
CLOSED: None. All Vestavia Hills roads are open.
Be sure to follow Vestavia Hills Police and Fire on social media for up-to-the-minute, accurate information:
VHFD – Facebook: @VestaviaHillsFire
VHPD – Facebook: @VestaviaHillsPolice; Twitter: @VHPD1032
Report emergencies by calling 911. Non-emergencies can be reported by calling VHPD at 205.823.1153. Downed trees, downed power lines or other hazardous road conditions can be reported via the Action Center (app or online). Your report will be immediately routed to the appropriate first responder.
Report a power outage by calling Alabama Power at 800.888.2726.
- Traffic Operations APPLE Study (Phase 1)
- APPLE Potential Intersection Study
- Dolly Ridge Road & Rocky Ridge Road (Jeff Co) – currently signalized; review signal operations and potential turn lane additions
- Sicard Hollow Road & Blue Lake Drive (Jeff Co/Bham) – not currently signalized; review for safety, operational and sight line improvements
- Shades Crest/Rocky Ridge Road/U.S. Highway 280 (Jeff Co/ALDOT) – currently signalized and coordinated with U.S. 280 system; capacity analysis
- Highway 31 & Shades Crest Road (ALDOT/Jeff Co) – currently signalized; review signal operations and potential turn lane additions
- Highway 31 & Columbiana Road (ALDOT/Jeff Co) – currently signalized; review signal operations and operational improvements
- Highway 31/Old Creek Trail/Leona Way (ALDOT) – currently signalized; review signal operations, operational improvements with access management
- Columbiana Road & Shades Crest/Vestaview (Jeff Co) – currently signalized; pedestrian access
- Highway 31/City Hall/Sprouts (ALDOT/Jeff Co) – currently signalized; pedestrian access
- Highway 31/Pizitz Drive (ALDOT/Jeff Co) – currently signalized; pedestrian access
- River Run Drive & River Run Trail (Jeff Co/Bham) – not signalized; analysis for need to add 3‐way stop or other means of traffic control
- Jacobs Road & Massey Road (City of Vestavia Hills) – not signalized; review safety and sight line improvements, right‐of‐way constraints
- Acton Road APPLE Grant (Feasibility Study) – in design phase
- Wald Park Master Plan – awaiting Community Spaces Plan approval by Council
- Crosshaven APPLE grant – for more information, visit Crosshaven Drive Corridor Study
- East Street Analysis and Planning – for more information, visit East Street Data Collection Summary
Infrastructure & Community Spaces Plan
A Comprehensive Plan
The Infrastructure & Community Spaces Plan is a comprehensive proposal for improvements to a broad range of activities throughout the City of Vestavia Hills. This plan was initially based on the strategic drivers established in the 2015 Recreation and Athletics Master Plan:
- Reposition quality of life assets to reflect the Vestavia Hills brand and effectively recruit and retain families
- Elevate the quality of existing facilities to comprehensively serve the recreational interests of all members of the community regardless of age
- Increase the capacity of City athletic facilities to ensure that Vestavia Hills youth sports programs deliver a high impact and consistent experience that result in the athletic and personal development of all participants
The plan has since been expanded to include not only recreational facilities, but also community infrastructure improvements.
Prior to plan development, stakeholders were invited to attend a series of public engagement meetings, as well as to complete surveys for each of the proposed Infrastructure & Community Spaces Plan components. Upon completion of stakeholder meetings, along with input from various City staff and boards, TCU presented their initial suggestions during the January 18-19, 2018 Council work session. Specifics for each area of improvement can be accessed at TCU Community Spaces Plan. Citizens and stakeholders are encouraged to comment on the plan components by clicking on “Community Spaces Plan questions and comments” at https://vhal.org/vestavia-hills-listens. Following is a summary of the major plan components and the estimated cost for each*:
- Road Capacity & Sidewalk Improvement Project (Crosshaven Drive): $4,611,000
- Sidewalk Installation: $2,500,000
- Road Paving: $2,200,000
- Stormwater Infrastructure Improvements: $550,000
- Refinance Gold’s Gym Property: $8,900,000
- Wald Park $24,369,662
- Cahaba Heights Park $7,390,054
- Community Building $16,532,017
- New Merkel House $864,555
TOTAL ESTIMATED COST: $67,917,288
*Cost information has been edited as true costs or estimate changes have occurred.
- Wald Park:
- Bid Opening: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 4 p.m.
- Anticipated Notice to Proceed: August 1, 2019
- Substantial Completion Dates:
- Waldridge Road Turn Lane: October 1, 2019
- Baseball Complex (including Miracle League field): May 2020 (including dedicated parking and entry points)
- Pool Facility: May 25, 2020 (including dedicated parking and entry points)
- Playground & Dog Park: Late summer 2020
- Remainder of the work at Wald Park: 455 days following the official Notice to Proceed
- These schedules, as well as traffic flow during the construction period, has been communicated with BOE leadership.
- Community Building:
- Bid Opening:
Tuesday, August 18, 2019
- Anticipated Notice to Proceed:
September 10, 2019
- Construction Duration: 425 days following the official Notice to Proceed
- Bid Opening:
- Cahaba Heights Park:
- Official Notice to Proceed: July 1, 2019
- Substantial Completion: 365 calendar days
- New Merkel House:
- Bid Opening: September 2019
- Substantial Completion: Summer 2020
- Crosshaven Drive:
- Utility work will not be able to commence until all acquisitions are complete, by both the County and the City.
- Acquisition critical path belongs to Probate Court of Jefferson County.
- Utility work includes the relocation of power and water along the entire corridor.
- Utility work will take no longer than 6 weeks.
- Once Probate rules on acquisitions and utility work can be scheduled, advertising and the bidding process will begin immediately. Advertising will run for 3 weeks in 3 newspapers.
- Following the advertising period, contractors will be prequalified, attend a mandatory pre-bid meeting and then submit bid.
- Once utilities are relocated, the contractor will be ready to mobilize immediately.
- Construction Duration: 255 days
- Anticipated Notice to Proceed: January 15, 2020
- SHAC AML Grant Project:
- Bid Opening: July 2019
- Anticipated Notice to Proceed: August 13, 2019
- Construction Duration: 185 days
- February 17, 2020: The Community Building bid tabulation was discussed at the Council work session. Bid approval will be on the agenda for the Monday, March 9, 2020 Council meeting with a request for unanimous approval. If approved, the next phase of work at the Community Building is TBD. Click HERE to view the bid tab.
- January 29-30, 2020: TCU presented an update to the Community Spaces budget to the Council during the annual Strategic Planning Session. TCU representatives were asked to participate in a special called Council Work Session on February 10, 2020 for the purpose of presenting Community Spaces Plan updates, including detailed information regarding budget overruns.
- November 13, 2019: City Council voted to officially name the Cahaba Heights athletic fields “Cahaba Heights Park.”
- August 26, 2019: Resolution 5183, a resolution accepting a bid for SHAC improvements, was unanimously approved during the regular meeting of the Council. Improvements will be funded by the previously awarded $750,000 Mine Reclamation Grant and will include an extension to the existing trail system, as well as the building of a pavilion and sport courts for futsal and pickleball play. In addition to these base bid items, an alternate bid for $34,000 may be accepted in the future for the building of sand volleyball courts. Click HERE to view a rendering of the proposed SHAC improvements.
A TCU representative presented project updates, which included the following active projects:
– Wald Park: Selective demolition, clearing and mass grading are ongoing. A tremendous amount of earth has been moved in the past months, but the park will soon begin to take shape as crews dig out the pool area, clear and grade the dog park area, etc.
– Cahaba Heights Athletic Fields: Most of the demolition on this job site is complete but there is a small amount of clearing and grading that remains. Safety is always a high-priority, but particularly on this job site given its proximity to VHECH. As such, TCU and City staff are in constant contact with the Board of Education to be sure project status, timelines, etc. are fully communicated.
– Community Building: Project estimating is underway for the construction/renovation of the Community Building. TCU is evaluating all functions of the facility to be sure all programmatic items are included in the estimate and subsequent bid process. Once complete, the estimate will be presented to the Council for review/approval prior to entering the bid process.
- July 19, 2019: The Wald Park bid tabulation was discussed at the Council work session. Bid approval will be on the agenda for the Monday, July 22 Council meeting with a request for unanimous approval. If approved, the next phase of work at Wald Park will begin July 25, 2019. Click HERE to view the bid tab.
- June 25, 2019: City Manager Jeff Downes hosted a Lunch & Learn where he presented an update on the construction plans for Cahaba Heights Athletic Complex, Wald Park and the Community Building. Click HERE to view the presentation. Click HERE to view the presentation notes (provided by Councilor Kimberly Cook).
- June 24, 2019: Updated project dates were presented during the City Council meeting. (See above)
- June 10, 2019: Construction documents for the Wald Park and Community Building projects were presented during the City Council Work Session by representatives from TCU. Click HERE to view the full presentation. At the Council meeting, the bid for renovation/construction of the Cahaba Heights athletic complex was unanimously approved. The low bidder is Stone Building LLC and their bid is within the constraints of previously established budget for this project. The bid documents are available for viewing in the June 10, 2019 Council Agenda Packet at https://vhal.org/government/agendas/.
- March 12, 2019: City Manager Jeff Downes presented an update on the Infrastructure & Community Spaces Plan at the Vestavia Hills Chamber of Commerce luncheon. Click HERE to view the presentation.
- February 4, 2019: The Wald Park, Cahaba Heights Athletic Fields and Community Building projects have moved into the Design Development stage. Design drawings/renderings for these projects were presented during the City Council Work Session by representatives from Williams Blackstock Architects. Click HERE to view the full presentation.
- October 15, 2018: Design considerations for the Cahaba Heights Athletic Fields and the Community Building were presented and discussed during the City Council work session.
- September 24, 2018: Ordinance Number 2801 – an Ordinance accepting a bid for the Wald Park Initial Site Package – was approved by unanimous vote of the City Council. Site work at Wald Park will commence this week.
- September 17, 2018: Design considerations for Wald Park were presented and discussed during the City Council work session.
- August 20, 2018: TCU CSP Projects Report – July 2018 presented during City Council work session
- May 14, 2018: The corporate office of Gold’s Gym initiated conversations to reach an agreement for the early termination of the lease contract on property located at 1090 Montgomery Highway, effective June 30, 2018, with a termination payment to the City of Vestavia Hills in the amount of $510,000. The Mayor and City Council approved Resolution 5051, authorizing the City Manager to execute and deliver this full and final settlement agreement, release and lease termination for the Gold’s Gym property. As a part of the Community Spaces Plan, Gold’s Gym will become the new Community Building and will have nearly 90,000-sf of space for people of all ages to utilize for senior programming, arts & crafts, dances, basketball games, etc. This Community Building is just a small part of the overall plan to renovate and replace aging infrastructure and facilities city-wide.
- April 16, 2018: The City of Vestavia Hills has been awarded a grant from ALDOT (TAP 2018) for $280,000. The grant’s purpose is to construct a sidewalk/trail connection from Gold’s Gym to Wald Park. For additional details of the grant application, along with Governor Ivey’s award letter, visit TAP Grant – Sidewalk Connector. This grant furthers efforts to fully integrate City facilities along Highway 31.
- April 9, 2018: The City Council voted to approve 1% sales tax and 3% lodging tax increases. To access meeting minutes or to view the archived meeting video, visit Current Agendas & Agenda Packet.
- April 3, 2018: Town Hall Meeting Presentation
- January 18, 2018: TCU CSP Plan
- June 12, 2017: City Council approved Resolution 4951 authorizing the Mayor and City Manager to execute and deliver a contract for the implementation stage of the Community Spaces Plan for a program manager (TCU).
- TCU Consulting Services, the program management firm hired by the City, conducted a series of public meetings over the course of many months in 2017 to gather stakeholder input. Click to view any of the archived Meeting Videos. Be sure to click “VIDEOS” in the menu at the top of the page and enter username: email@example.com; password: VestaviaHills1032
- Introduction to the Community Spaces Plan, Tommy Dazzio 2016
- Printable version of this Executive Summary
- Video of Town Hall Meeting kick-off November 15, 2016
- Community Spaces Plan Presentation PowerPoint November, 2016
- 2015 Recreation and Athletics Master Plan
- More Parks and Recreation Studies and Assessments
- Organizational Meeting Minutes
- Community Spaces Plan November 2016 presentation