Share a comment or ask a question regarding this development in the Vestavia Hills Listens portal at https://www.opentownhall.com/11759.
- The Liberty Park Joint Venture (LPJV) conceived their vision of a development plan for the remaining undeveloped 700 acres within the Liberty Park PUD in 2020. They branded the future development area as The Bray.
- LPJV publicly introduced the proposed plan in the fall of 2020 and made presentations to the City of Vestavia Hills and residents of Liberty Park late in 2020 and early in 2021.
- The proposed Bray plan requires multiple approvals from the City of Vestavia Hills prior to commencing development efforts.
- Over the course of the 2020-2021 community meetings, residents shared feedback and concerns with City Council members. In an effort to address these concerns and answer legal questions posed by individual City Council members, the City hired special outside legal counsel. Because of the potential impacts to the Vestavia Hills City Schools (VHCS), the school system also hired special counsel. Attorneys representing the various parties: Whit Colvin, representing City of Vestavia Hills; Gail Mills, representing LPJV; Mark Boardman, representing VHCS.
- Over the past year, special counsel for the City has worked with LPJV representatives to draft a revised agreement which is sensitive to community concerns. This agreement requires approval of LPJV and the Vestavia Hills City Council.
Documents & Presentations
- Resolution 5378 Development Agreement – approved 03.14.2022
- Ordinance 3085 Amendment to Liberty Park Annexation Agreement – approved 03.14.2022
- Council presentation (03.14.2022)
- Councilor Kimberly Cook’s School System Impact Statement
- Development Agreement (draft) 03.14.2022
- Amendment to Liberty Park Annexation Agreement (draft) 03.14.2022
- Development Agreement (draft) 01.24.2022
- Amendment to Liberty Park Annexation Agreement (draft) 01.24.2022
- Current and proposed entitlement (by unit type and number of units)
- Superintendent Dr. Todd Freeman’s presentation to the Vestavia Hills Board of Education – Presentation regarding school system facility needs, including current enrollment and future capacity data. Click HERE to view a recording of the 01.31.2022 BOE meeting featuring this presentation.
- Student Impact Graph (Current VHELP v Bray)
- Town Hall meeting presentation (slides)
- Zoom recording: Town Hall Meeting 01.31.2022
- Zoom recording: Town Hall Meeting 02.10.2022
Approvals Required by City of Vestavia Hills to Implement the Proposed Vision
- Amendment 772 Public-Private Partnership Incentive Agreement
- Various zoning adjustments to facilitate implementation of the above three agreements
- Agreement to accept public dedication of Liberty Park roadway infrastructure, not including the “Old Overton area” that is behind secured gates
Public Meeting/Presentation Schedule
To facilitate presentation of the new plan and allow for full public engagement on the decision, the City proposes the following public meeting schedule, with all meetings available in-person and virtually via Zoom:
- January 10, 2022: City Council Work Session, 5pm – City Council hears City Manager’s report on forthcoming decisions and proposed schedule
- January 24, 2022: City Council Work Session, 5pm – Developer presents proposed Development Agreement (draft), Annexation Agreement Amendment (draft); City presents proposed Public-Private Partnership Incentive Agreement; click HERE to view a recording of the Council Work Session
- January 25, 2022: City uploads all documents and proposed plans on City website and provides link to Vestavia Hills Listens topic for public to submit questions and comments
- January 31, 2022, 6pm & February 10, 2022, noon: City conducts town hall meetings to receive public input on project; meetings available in person or via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5539517181 or one-touch dialing 312.626.6799,,5539517181#
- February 14, 2022: City Council Meeting, 6pm – First reading of the proposed Development Agreement, Annexation Agreement and Amendment 772 Public-Private Partnership Agreement
- February 28, 2022: City Council Meeting, 6pm – City Council vote on acceptance of Development Agreement and Amended Annexation Agreement postponed to March 14 regular meeting.
- March 14, 2022: City Council Meeting, 6pm – City Council unanimously voted to accept the Development Agreement and Amended Annexation Agreement.