The VH Listens survey results indicated that the majority of residents strongly prefer twice per week collection. (Click here to view VH Listens comments) The City Council reviewed all comments and, in support of the desire of residents, voted unanimously for Option C – providing two time per week collection.
Options Considered by Residents & Council
OPTION A: Waste collection twice per week, plus recycling once per week (continuation of existing service) = $235,150 more than current contract
OPTION B: Waste collection twice per week, plus recycling twice per month = $55,402 more than current contract
OPTION C: Waste collection once per week, plus combined waste/recycling once per week = $163,801 less than current contract
OPTION D: Waste collection twice per week, with on-demand* recycling = $270,480 less than current contract
OPTION E: Waste collection once per week, with on-demand* recycling = $1,011,390 less than current contract
OPTION F: Waste and recycling combined and collected in the same trash cart once per week = $773,188 less than current contract. With this option, recycling will still occur, but all household waste/recyclables would be deposited into the same trash cart.
OPTION G: Waste and recycling collected in the same trash cart twice per week = $32,278 less than current contract
*On-demand recycling service is billed directly to the customer at $8.50 per month.
Beginning October 1, 2020, Amwaste will provide two pickups per household. One pickup will be treated as waste only – everything collected that day will be taken to the landfill. The other pickup will be a “mixed stream” – everything collected that day will be taken to RePower South and sorted to separate recyclables from waste. While both pickups allow for the removal of waste, only one will be sorted to extract recyclables. Residents who want to participate in the recycling process are encouraged to retain recyclables until the “mixed stream” pickup day each week. A collection schedule denoting waste/mixed stream pickups will be published closer to October 1, 2020.
Initially, existing carts will continue to be utilized for waste collection. As the supply of new carts is made available, Amwaste will collect and replace existing Republic Services carts. Each household may receive up to 3 full-size trash carts at no charge. Additional carts may be purchased for a nominal fee.
City Manager Jeff Downes hosted community engagement meetings on July 1 & 8, 2020 to discuss these options. Click to view a PDF of the presentation
What Stays the Same?
- The option to recycle is not being eliminated, but may function differently.
- Bulk debris/waste pick-ups would remain as is – service requested via the Action Center and pickup to occur within 10 business days. Small debris (small limbs, bagged leaves and grass clippings, etc.) would continue to be collected with household trash in small amounts.
- Backdoor service would remain as is.
Enhanced Customer Service/Service Tracking Features
- All Amwaste trucks are equipped with GPS trackers that provide real-time, as well as historical location data and speed data.
- All trucks are equipped with front, rear and in-cab cameras to assist in resolving damage/accident claims, deterring distracted driving, etc.
- Amwaste prides itself on providing exemplary customer service and their references confirmed – all references provided positive endorsements regarding overall program and customer service.