Sibyl Temple sits high on the crest of Shades Mountain at the corner of Montgomery Highway (U.S. Highway 31) and Shades Crest Road. Built in 1929 as a replica of the Temple of Sibyl in Tivoli, Italy, the temple served as a gazebo on the “Vestavia” estate of George Ward, a former mayor of Birmingham. The temple was moved by the Vestavia Hills Garden Club to its present location in 1975. Park, picnic areas, and restroom are open to the public daily. Sibyl Temple is also available for private parties, weddings and other events with arrangements made through the nonprofit Sibyl Temple Foundation.
Rental fees are due at least one month prior to scheduled event.
Event Fee (1-25 attendees): $200
If alcohol is served, there must be a police officer present. Event security officer is an additional $149 for 3 hours; each additional hour is $49 per hour.
Event Fee (26-74 attendees): $549
Fee includes 3 hours of police security (1 officer) at $149; each additional hour is $40 per hour.
Event Fee (75+ attendees): $649
Fee includes 3 hours of police security (2 officers) at $249; each additional hour is $40 per hour, per officer.
Security Deposit: $150
A security deposit is required for all events held at the temple. Deposit check is held and will be returned following your event unless damages are incurred.
Table Rental: $10 per table
Total of 6 – 60” round tables and/or 1 – 6’ rectangular table available to rent.
White Wooden Chairs: $2 each
Total of 64 chairs available to rent.
*City of Vestavia municipal employees are eligible for a $100 discount on Sibyl Temple rental fees.
– Sibyl Temple is open for events from 10am to 10pm. Due to limited space, we suggest a maximum number of 75 event guests. For events with more than 75 attendees, a second security officer is required.
– Prior to your event, a Sibyl Temple Foundation volunteer will meet with you to address any questions or concerns, check the restroom facilities and install signs at the park entrance stating “Sibyl Temple Closed for Private Event.”
– It is the responsibility of the renter to transport and set-up rented tables and/or chairs. The Sibyl Temple Foundation volunteer will direct you to the storage location prior to your event. Tables and chairs must be transported to and from the on-site storage facility with chairs neatly returned to their protective wraps after your event.
– Decorations (tape, nails, etc.) are NOT ALLOWED ANYWHERE on the temple, including temple columns.
– The picnic area (with five picnic tables,) lower gardens, patio area and restrooms are wheelchair accessible; however, the temple level can only be reached by stairs.
– In the event of inclement weather your rental fee is refundable with 48-hour notice of cancellation, after which a $100 cancellation fee may apply.
– Sibyl Temple is occasionally used for small weddings, birthday parties, photo shoots, etc. without a rental agreement. As such, the park would not be closed to the public. If you choose to use the grounds without renting the facility, we strongly encourage you to check that a paid event or maintenance repairs have not been scheduled for your date and time. Any event serving alcohol must arrange for police security by contacting the Sibyl Temple Foundation.
For more information, contact Anne Moulton at email@example.com or 205.960.6062. You may also contact Sibyl Temple Foundation, 154 Montgomery Highway or P.O. Box 660645, Vestavia Hills, AL 35216.