As the code documents listed below are copyrighted materials, we are unable to provide a link to content or copies of the codes. However, the code books are available for review during regular business hours of Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-4 p.m. at Vestavia Hills City Hall. Note that the codes are generally available for purchase through various online services.
- 2021 International Building Code
- 2021 International Plumbing Code
- 2021 International Mechanical Code
- 2021 International Gas Code
- 2021 International Existing Building Code
- 2021 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2021 International Residential Code
- 2021 International Fire Code
- 2017 ANSI A117.1: Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities (ADA)
- 2020 National Electrical Code
Permits are required if dumpsters or portable storage units are used on the job site. Remember that contractors are responsible for removal of debris. Dumpster/Portable Storage Unit Permit Application may be downloaded at Licenses/Forms/Permit Applications.
Erosion Control & ADEM Permits
An Erosion Control Permit is required for all new construction before a building permit is issued. See Building Safety Fees for the application fees for commercial and residential lots. Any lot over one acre will require an ADEM permit; application fee and/or security deposit will be waived for these projects. Please submit to the Building Safety Department the required fee, a copy of the Land Disturbing Permit Application (download at Licenses/Forms/Permit Applications), ADEM permit if required and a site plan showing your erosion measures. This information will be forwarded to the City Engineer for his approval.
There is a security deposit required per acre of disturbed land. We only accept certified checks or a certificate of deposit made out to the City of Vestavia Hills.
For information about obtaining a permit from the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM), call 205.942.6168.
Please call the Building Safety Department when your project is completed. The Building Safety Department will alert the City Engineer so that he can inspect the site and return your deposit.
Inspections are performed to ensure that projects are constructed in compliance with codes and the reviewed permit application and plans.
Information You Need Before Scheduling an Inspection
- Prior to scheduling your inspection, please have the following information available:
- Project number (last 7 digits)
- Project address, including floor, suite number etc.
- Type of inspection needed
- Desired Inspection date
- Contractor’s name and phone number
- To cancel or reschedule an inspection, please call 205.978.0125 ext. 147.
- All cancellation or rescheduled inspections are subject to cancellation or re-inspection fees if not cancelled or rescheduled appropriately.
- All re-inspection fees and/or cancellation fees must be paid in full before new inspection can be rescheduled.
Scheduling an Inspection
- Call the inspection line at 205.978.0125 ext. 147
- 24-hour notice is required
- No same day inspections are performed
- Inspections are scheduled in the order they are received
- Inspections are performed between 8:30-10:30 a.m. and 1:00-3:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday
- No inspections will be scheduled without obtaining a permit/license
- Contractors are required to call in for rough inspections which include framing, electrical and mechanical inspections
- Contractors are required to call in for finals
If weekend or after hours work is anticipated for a project, a Noise Waiver will be required. Submit a completed Noise Waiver Application (download at Licenses/Forms/Permit Applications) to the Building Safety department. Please allow a minimum of two (2) business days for review of your application. Upon approval, the person listed on the application will be contacted to pick up a copy of the signed application. The approved application should be kept at the job site during the work performed under the waiver.
Note that persons planning events should request an Event Noise Waiver from the City Manager’s office. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 205.978.0100.