City of Vestavia Hills Stormwater Management Program


In 1972, the Clean Water Act was passed to help protect rivers, streams, and lakes from pollution. From this Act the newly created United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) created the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program. The purpose of the NPDES program was to track and control sources of pollution through permitting. In 1987, the NPDES program’s focus was widened to include permits for municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4). The first MS4 permits for cities within Alabama were distributed in 1996. The Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) is responsible for administering the permits in Alabama and the duration of each permit is five years.

Program Overview

The current ADEM MS4 permit for City of Vestavia Hills is effective from July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2022. Click here to view NPDES Permit No. ALS000017. Vestavia Hills is currently a member of Storm Water Management Authority, Inc. (SWMA) which has a membership of 21 cities within Jefferson County. SWMA helps the member cities cost share many of the permit requirements.

Components of the Permit

  • Stormwater collection system operations
  • Public education and public involvement on stormwater impacts
  • Illicit discharge detection and elimination (IDDE)
  • Construction site stormwater runoff control
  • Post-construction stormwater management in new development and redevelopment
  • Spill prevention and response
  • Pollution prevention/good housekeeping for municipal operations
  • Application of pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers (PHFs)
  • Oils, toxics and household hazardous waste control
  • Industrial stormwater runoff

The City of Vestavia Hills submits an Annual Report to ADEM reporting their stormwater permit requirements:

Each year, the City of Vestavia Hills must submit a Stormwater Management Program Plan (SWMPP) which outlines how the city will meet the permit requirements in the upcoming year:


Amended and adopted December 28, 2020:

Important Numbers

  • For unknown liquids entering the storm drain system, stream or river, call 205.930.1999
  • For mud leaving a construction site due to improper construction practices, call 205.978.0150
  • For any spill, call 205.978.0140
  • For sanitary sewer overflow, call 205.942.0681

What is Stormwater and What Can I Do to Help?

Stormwater is rainwater, snow melt or even water from a garden hose that flows into the storm sewer system. Stormwater can come from many different sources including rooftops, street curbs and paved areas. Once the excess water from these sources reach the storm sewer, the water is piped to the nearest creek, river or stream untreated and could eventually end up in the drinking water supply. Click the following links for more information on stormwater and what you can do as a citizen, business owner or developer:


Fun Stuff for Kids


Household Hazardous Waste

Stormwater Controls